Stay Lucky This St Patrick's Day!

Pretty girl Ophelia is ready to be your lucky charm this St. Patrick's Day! With this clover-clad celebration around the corner, we wanted to share some tips to keep your furry friends out of mischief this holiday weekend!

Alcohol: Adult beverages, especially green beer, have become a key element of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. It can be easy for curious pets to lap up unattended beverages during the hustle and bustle of a party. If enough is ingested, your dog or cat can experience signs of drunkness, including difficulty walking, sedation, stomach upset, and vomiting. To avoid this, keep all alcoholic beverages out of reach of your pets at all times.

Shamrocks: A “shamrock” has become a well-known symbol for St. Patrick’s Day festivities. However, Oxalis Acetosella is the plant typically associated with the green-clad holiday. This plant can cause drooling, upset stomach, and immediate head shaking when ingested by pets. It can also cause low blood calcium and damage to the kidneys if enough is consumed. Should your dog or cat ingest any shamrocks this St. Patrick’s Day, call your veterinarian immediately.

Costumes: While it's fun and festive for humans to adorn their favorite green attire on St. Patrick's Day, not all pets are fans of wearing costumes. Don't force your furry friends to wear a costume unless you are certain they are comfortable. Make sure that costumes aren’t blocking their sight, breathing, or constricting movement in any way. Keep an eye out for any loose bits on the costume that could be irritating or a potential choking hazard.

For more information, call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 or visit the ASPCA Pro website.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.