ID Tags

An ID tag is one of the best ways to help identify your pet in the event they get lost. It is important that your pet wears an ID tag with up-to-date contact information even if they are indoor-only animals. In addition to ID tags, we also recommend that you have your pet microchipped. Microchips ensure that if your pet ends up at a shelter or veterinarian’s office they will be able to call the microchip company, get your contact information and reunite you with your lost animal.

ID tags can be purchased at the HSVC for only $5 +tax. We are located at 402 Bryant St. in Ojai and we are open Monday - Saturday from 10 am - 5 pm. 

The Humane Society of Ventura County is no longer providing licensing for your pet. Licensing will now be performed digitally through Ventura County Animal Services in partnership with DocuPet. Please visit the DocuPet website to register your pet for a new license or to renew an existing license. 

Licensing FAQs

- As required by law, every dog in Ventura County must be vaccinated for Rabies and licensed. A license is a tool that is used by Animal Control Officers to verify that a dog is vaccinated for Rabies. This is important to protect the health of you, your friend and family, and other dogs.

- Dogs 3-months and older must be vaccinated for Rabies. A Rabies vaccine given to dogs one year or younger is only protective for one year. Dogs older than one year are eligible for a three-year Rabies vaccine.

- Note that not all veterinarians provide a valid license. Make sure the tag says "Ventura County" on it to be sure you have received a valid license after vaccinating your dog. Keep a copy of the vaccination license in your personal files to reference in case the tag gets lost or in the event your dog bites someone.

- Ventura County Ordinance 4411 requires every person that lives in the unincorporated areas of Ventura County who keeps a dog 4-months of age or older for 30 days or more must obtain a current license and license tag. Cities within Ventura County have chosen to mirror the ordinance such that the same requirements are applicable within their city limits.

- The cities of Oxnard and Moorpark require cat licenses AND dog licenses. If you reside in one of these cities and own a cat, you are required by city law to have your cat vaccinated and licensed in the same manner as a dog.

- A dog license is valid for one, two, or three years. Ventura County Animal Services will send you a dog license renewal prior to your license expiring, which will state when your pet's vaccination expires. Failure to complete your license renewal can result in costly penalties.

- Be sure to read your renewal carefully to be sure you are not required to get a new vaccination before the license expires. You must also inform the department if/when you move so your address remains current.

- If you do not vaccinate and license your dog, you may be issued an administrative citation and be required to pay violation fees. The unincorporated areas of Ventura County and many cities within the county are subject to automated citations that are sent out through the mail. Animal Control Officers may also issue citations in person when out in the field.

- You can license your pet online by visiting Call Ventura County Animal Services at 805-388-4341 with any questions.