Adopt a Pet
The Adoption Process
You've fallen in love with the perfect pet, now what? Here are the next steps in the adoption process:
- A staff member will escort you to a play yard for a supervised meet and greet. This is where you can interact directly with your future pet.
- If you already have a dog(s) and are interested in adopting a dog, a second meet and greet is required. This is to make sure your dog(s) gets along with the shelter dog.
- After the meet and greet(s), those still interested will fill out a paper application. Please note applications may only be filled out in person at the shelter and only after a supervised meet and greet.
- Potential adopters must show proof of homeownership or provide a rental agreement stating pets are allowed in the residence.
- The HSVC requires all other animals in the home to be spayed/neutered prior to adopting an animal from our shelter.
- Applications for animals rescued in the field from abuse/neglect cases will be overseen by our Humane Officers.
- Special requirements and restrictions may occur for animals available for adoption.
- Our adoption counselors will thoroughly review your application.
- If more than one application is submitted for an animal, our Adoption Counselors will select the best-suited application for that particular animal. Please note it is not always first-come, first-served.
- Out-of-county applications will be approved on a case-by-case basis.
- Cat adoptions: Once your application is approved, congratulations! You may now take your new kitty home!
- Dog adoptions: Once your application is approved, a yard check will be performed to ensure your home is safe for the animal.
- Adjustments to your fencing, etc. may be required in order to pass the yard check
- After passing the yard check, congratulations! You may now take your new dog home!
Adoption Fees and Policies:
Puppy (6-months or younger)
Kitten (6-months or younger)
Senior (dog or cat age 5 or older)
Senior to Senior (cat or dog age 5 or older with senior human)
Didn't find what you're looking for? Fill out a breed request!
Click one of the following to fill out a simple form to be notified when an animal enters our shelter with your desired age/breed/etc. Please note that filling out this form DOES NOT GUARANTEE adoption.
Do you like this page?