Easter Sunday is right around the corner! From bunny-clad egg hunts to festive sweet treats, this weekend is sure to be a blast! However, our furry and feathered friends may be at risk for mischief if pet owners are not careful. Check out these tips and tricks to keep your animals safe this Easter!
- Bunnies, chicks, and ducks: These animals are more than just the mascots of the Easter holiday. They are living creatures and should not be looked at simply as a festive toy. Rabbits can be very destructive if not provided with the proper care and chickens and ducks can live up to 10 years! Instead of bringing home a new pet this Easter, consider visiting your local animal shelter to adopt a shelter animal. This is a great opportunity to teach young children how to humanely treat animals and the responsibilities of becoming a pet parents.
- Easter candy: All candies, chocolates, wrappers, and sugar products should be kept away from your animals as they are potential hazards. Theobromine, a chemical found in most chocolate, is poisonous to pets. If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these items, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Easter eggs (plastic and real): Plastic eggs can be a choking hazard and can cause serious damage if consumed due to their inability to be digested. Boiled eggs, especially those still in the shell, can cause an upset stomach or constipation. If you are celebrating this Sunday with an egg hunt, make sure to keep track of how many eggs are used and be sure they are all collected when the hunt is over.
- Synthetic grass & tinsel: Both synthetic grass and tinsel can become entangled in the intestines if ingested. If not caught in time, this may be fatal for your pets.
- Easter lilies: Lilies are a beautiful component of any Easter display, but they are extremely dangerous to pets, especially cats. Every part of the lily is highly toxic and even eating just one leaf can result in kidney failure and even death.
- Raw dough: Keep any items containing yeast or uncooked dough away from your pets. If consumed, it can ferment and become poisonous in their stomachs.
Have a safe and hoppy Easter, friends!
Do you like this page?