The microchip is a simple, elegant product of our high-tech age. No bigger than a grain of rice or more costly than a month's supply of pet food, a pet microchip and enrollment in a pet recovery database brings lost pets home and provides peace of mind that your beloved companion will never wander unknown.
The statistics indicate that missing pets rarely make it home:
• The American Humane Association estimates over 10 million dogs and cats are lost or stolen in the U.S. every year.
• One in three pets will become lost at some point during their life.
A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, including 53 animal shelters across the U.S., confirmed the high rate of return of microchipped dogs and cats to their families, and the importance of microchip registration. From the study:
• Only about 22 percent of lost dogs that entered the animal shelters were reunited with their families. However, the return-to-owner rate for microchipped dogs was over 52 percent (a 238 percent increase).
• Less than 2 percent of lost cats that entered the animal shelters were reunited with their families. The return-to-owner rate for microchipped cats was dramatically higher at over 38 percent (more than 2000 percent better).
• Only 58 percent of the microchipped animals’ microchips had been registered in a database with their pet parent’s contact information.
A microchip implantation and registration into our HSVC database is only $15!
We strongly recommend that you register your microchip with Infopet so that no matter where your pet ends up someone will be able to contact you. Our database will only help you if your pet ends up back at our shelter. Lifetime registration for pets is $25 for the first one and $10 for each pet after that.
So, what are you waiting for? No appointment needed, just walk-in with your furry family member and gain some peace of mind.