Valentine's day is just around the corner and love is in the air! As many prepare to shower their loved ones with gifts and quality time, we want to remind pet owners of the dangers of this romantic holiday. Check out these tips to keep your pet safe as you spread the love.
- Chocolate: While chocolate can make a sweet gift for special someone, it can be extremely toxic to furry friends. Chocolates can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures, and an abnormally high heart rate if consumed by a dog or cat. Some chocolates contain additional fillings, which can increase the risk of pancreatitis in your animals. Be sure to keep all chocolate out of reach of your animals while you indulge this Valentine’s Day.
- Flowers: Nothing says "I love you" more than a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. Unfortunately, many mixed bouquets contain flowers that can be fatal to pets. Lilies are extremely harmful if ingested by cats and can cause acute kidney failure. If you have a curious pet, be sure to request a bouquet without toxic flowers to avoid a Valentine's Day vet visit.
- Alcohol: Adult beverages often accompany a romantic meal. While humans can enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner, the consumption of even a small amount of alcohol can cause great harm to our furry friends. Be sure to keep open glasses out of reach of your animals to prevent a Valentine’s Day disaster.
- Marijuana: Since the legalization of marijuana in many states, exposure cases in animals have increased exponentially. Marijuana can often be disguised as a tasty treat that can seem tempting to pets. Keep these products in a secure location like a high shelf or cabinet to be sure your pet doesn’t get into them.
- Bath Bombs: A long, relaxing bath can be heavenly for humans. However, the residue left in the tub from a bath bomb can cause upset stomach and irritation if consumed by a pet. Make sure your tub is thoroughly rinsed out when you are finished to keep your animals safe.
Do you like this page?