Stay Lucky This St Patrick's Day!

St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner! It is very common for our furry friends to test their luck on this shamrock-clad holiday. Check out these tips to keep your pets out of mischief this St. Paddy's Day!

Alcohol: Adult beverages, especially green beer, have become a key element of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. It can be easy for curious pets to lap up unattended beverages during the hustle and bustle of a party. If enough ethanol (the type of alcohol in alcoholic beverages) is ingested, your dog or cat can experience signs of drunkness, including difficulty walking, sedation, stomach upset, and vomiting. To avoid this, the APCC recommends keeping all alcoholic beverages out of reach of your pets at all times. Pet owners might also consider keeping their animals in a separate, quiet room to avoid party stress altogether.

Shamrocks: A “shamrock” has become a well-known symbol for St. Patrick’s Day festivities. However, the common name “shamrock” can actually refer to several different plants. According to the APCCOxalis acetosella is the plant typically associated with the green-clad holiday. This plant can cause drooling, upset stomach, and immediate head shaking when ingested by pets. It can also cause low blood calcium and damage to the kidneys if enough is consumed. Should your dog or cat ingest any shamrocks this St. Patrick’s Day, call your veterinarian or the APCC (888-426-4435) immediately. For more St. Patrick's Day safety tips, visit the ASPCA Pro website.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.