Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the Humane Society of Ventura County. We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and promotes equality in the work place. We are seeking individuals with exemplary character and skills to help us accomplish our mission of promoting the health, safety, welfare, compassionate care and protection of all animals through education and community outreach programs.
Please visit the shelter at 402 Bryant Street in Ojai during business hours to apply. No phone calls please.
- Adoption Counselor - Full Time
Performs services related to the health and well-being of animals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Understand, support, and articulate shelter policies to the public in a positive and effective manner.
- Answer phones and direct incoming call appropriately.
- Dispatch service calls to Humane Officers.
- Receive public in a courteous and professional manner, providing complete and accurate information.
- Maintain an esthetically pleasing and organized work environment.
- Assist prospective owners in selection of animals for adoption and the preparation of adoption forms, and notify new owners of the free pet examination offer.
- Maintain list of prospective pet owners and contacts them when desired type of animal is available.
- Assist in the identifying owners of lost animals.
- Admit incoming animals – fill out paperwork, vaccinate and deworm if necessary.
- Maintain all files in a neat and orderly manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Genuine compassion for domestic animals and wildlife.
- Works well and communicates effectively with the general public, other staff members, and volunteers.
- Uses good judgment.
- Flexible, capable of working both independently and as a member of a team.
- Accurately comprehends and interprets written and verbal instruction and procedures.
- Able to lift and/or carry animals and materials weighing at least 50 pounds.
- Able to bend stoop stretch, stand, walk, run and extend arms above the shoulders.
Office environment. Environment may include exposure to: chemicals used for cleaning and medical purposes, noises, odors, pet dander, and animals (including those with uncertain dispositions). Protective gear is required when appropriate (ear plugs, safety glasses, etc.). Varied schedule; work on weekends and/or holidays may be required.