Fall is here, and as the days become shorter and the nights begin to cool, what better time to welcome a new feline into your home. Cats make great companions, perfect to curl up in your lap while you settle in for a good book or sit down to watch your favorite movie. In fact, there are plenty of reasons why you should consider adopting a shelter cat!
1. YOU ARE A REAL LIFE HERO. Millions of animals find themselves in the shelter system through no fault of their own. They are most often victims of circumstances such as the death of an owner, divorce, moving, displaced by a new baby, or rescued from abuse or neglect. When you adopt you are also opening a space at a shelter for another animal in need.
2. YOU'LL GET A GREAT PET. Shelter animals often come already trained. They have experience from previous homes or were taught basic manners and training while at the shelter by caring staff and volunteers.
3. PETS ARE GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH. Owning a cat, or any pet you adopt from a shelter, has been shown to have positive effects on humans’ ability to cope with stress, anxiety, depression and loneliness. Taking a cat home from a shelter can improve your sense of happiness and general well-being.
4. SHELTER PETS ARE A DEAL. For a reasonable adoption fee, you can adopt an animal that would cost several hundred dollars elsewhere. Most adoptions include shots, microchip and spay/neuter surgery, which can add up when taking care of these on your own. Throw in the prior socialization and basic manner training they received while at the shelter and you are getting quite a bargain!
5. YOU ARE PART OF THE SOLUTION. Adopting from a shelter means you are not supporting a mass breeding facility or backyard breeders and their often cruel practices.
6. YOU ARE SUPPORTING A VALUABLE CHARITY. Many rescue organizations are nonprofit facilities that offer many services to the community at reduced rates or even free of charge. Your adoption fee is also paying for Humane Education programs, Spay and Neuter, Humane Investigations, Pet Food Banks, and more.
7. THE REWARDS. Shelter animals often “know” that they’ve been rescued. They will reward you with a lifetime of love and companionship.
8. YOU CAN FIND THE PERFECT FRIEND. Shelter cats come in all shapes and sizes each with its own individual personality. Staff and volunteers work closely with each animal meaning that you can get a lot of information on them to help you choose the best fit!
9. YOU SET AN EXAMPLE. When your friends ask where you got your amazing pet, you can tell them “at the shelter.” Your adoption may encourage others to do the same.
10. SHELTER CATS ARE THE BEST! When you adopt a shelter cat you are making a friend and companion for life!
11. CATS ARE PERFECT FOR APARTMENTS. f you live in an apartment, condo or other small space, a cat can be an excellent companion because cats don’t require lots of room or daily walks like a dog. Cats are generally low maintenance and if you provide them with toys (like cat trees and window rests for enrichment), they make wonderful roommates.
Do you like this page?