The Dangers of Rat Poison

Rat01.jpg

PLEASE SHARE! Over the past few weeks the Humane Society of Ventura County has received numerous calls in regards to an increased number of rodents throughout the Ojai Valley. Rodent infestations can be difficult to handle and many people will resort to the use of poisons. 

However there are many dangers associated with using poison. Rat poison is not only lethal to rats it is also deadly to pets, children, and wildlife. An animal that ingests poison or eats a rat that has ingested poison  can be in great danger. The effects of rat poison can be a long and painful suffering that will eventually lead to death. Symptoms include loss of appetite, lethargy, muscle tremors, and even paralysis. If you think your pet has ingested poison take them to the veterinarian immediately. 

For the safety and protection of our pets, children, and local wildlife, we recommend taking the following precautions:

-Do not leave out any food or water. Food and water will attract not only large wildlife but small animals, especially rodents. 

-Keep your property as neat and clean as possible. Wood piles, compost piles, or any type of clutter makes for an attractive home to rodents. 

-Do not leave any exposed garbage outside. Make sure your garbage is in bags and the lids to garbage bins are on tight.

-Bird feeder and fruit trees may also attract rodents. Avoid setting out bird feed and clean up any fallen or rotten fruit from your property.

-Make sure that all gaps and holes into your home and garage are sealed. 


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

805-646-6505

Shelter & Adoption Location:
402 Bryant Street in Ojai

Donate Now! Volunteer