One of the most rewarding services provided by the Humane Society of Ventura County is the successful reunion of lost pets with their owners. Our staff reunites hundreds of lost animals with their owners each year.
Submit Found Animal Report
Found a lost animal?
1. Check to see if the animal has any identification tags. Owners will often put a phone number directly on the tag or collar. You may be able to reunite the lost pet with its owner without having to go through us.
2. If the animal has a rabies or license tag, call Animal Services in Camarillo at 805-388-4341. Most of they time they will be able to help track down the owner.
3. CLICK HERE to file a Found Report if the animal is not aggressive and you would like to keep it at your home while we try to locate its owner. You will be asked for a photo of the animal if you have one. (Remember, the more information you give, the better chance we have of finding the owners.) If you do not wish to submit an online found report, call the Humane Society of Ventura County at 805-646-6505 to file a complete report by phone.
4. All pets should be scanned for a microchip. Please bring the animal to the Humane Society of Ventura County so we can scan the animal for a microchip. If the animal has one, this could be the best way to reunite the lost pet with the owner. A picture should also be provided to help get them home. If you are not able to upload a picture when submitting the Found Report, please bring the pet in so we can take a picture to put on our website.
5. If you are unable to keep the animal in your home, bring the animal to either the Humane Society of Ventura County or Ventura County Animal Services. Here at the Humane Society we will hold the lost animal for a seven day holding period while we try to find the owner. After seven days, the animal’s temperament and health will be assessed for entry into our adoption program.
6. For your safety, do not attempt to approach an aggressive and/or scared animal. If you can safely contain the lost animal in your yard, kennel or garage, please call Animal Services as 805-388-4341 and they can pick up the animal. Please note, that the Humane Society of Ventura County does not pick up lost/stray animals.
I’ve submitted an online report, what do I do now?
1. Call or visit the following agencies to also put a report in with them.
a. Ventura County Animal Services, 600 Aviation Drive, Camarillo, 805-388-4341
b. Agoura Animal Shelter, 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura, 818-991-0071
c. Santa Barbara Humane Society, Santa Barbara, 805-964-4777
d. Santa Barbara Animal Shelter, Santa Barbara, 805-681-5285
2. Post flyers around your neighborhood with pictures of the found animal.
3. Check the lost section in the local newspaper and on Craigslist.
4. Be proactive! If it were your lost animal, you would hope someone would be doing everything they could to find you. Please extend the same courtesy to those that have lost their pet. Remember, just because an animal is lost does not mean it is abandoned or abused. Many responsible pet owners have their animals escape at some point during the animal’s life. It is important not to judge, but rather allow us to assist the owners in finding ways to keep their animals secured safely.
5. If after 30 days you have not found the owner, and wish to keep the animal, legally you may do so. Please be responsible if you so chose to do this and make sure the animals is spayed or neutered, microchipped, is wearing a collar and ID tag, licensed (if it is a dog) and up to date on all vaccinations. The Humane Society of Ventura County offers all of these services on a low cost basis. Call us at 805-646-6505 for more information. IF YOU HAVE LOST YOUR PET CLICK HERE.